August95 tagged me with this meme. Just a silly meme, so it should be easy, but I found myself wrestling with it. List my five “guilty pleasures.” That would be five things I enjoy, but feel at least a little guilty about. Guilt is a thing I try not to do. I made that decision a long, long time ago. Not that I do nothing bad. Oh, I do plenty of bad things. But they are my choice, so I don’t allow myself the “out” of feeling guilty about them. Martin Luther’s words, “Sin boldly, but believe and rejoice in Christ even more boldly . . .” were the impetus for staking claim to my “I don’t do guilt” posture. If I do something wrong, I consider the consequences beforehand, and if it’s important to me to do the thing, and if I’m willing to live with the consequences, then I go for it. No guilt allowed. That’s a lot of philosophy for a little meme.
So, here are some things from which I get pleasure, but about which I may have occasional mini-regret or even embarrassment:
1. Blogging, of course. I spend a lot of time here. I weigh, almost daily, the benefit to me, and the benefit to others (as they have communicated to me). My rule is, I can take time from realworld things and stuff to do this (especially I can do it instead of TV-watching), but I can’t take time from realworld people to do it. Yea, almost daily, I look at this.
2. When I watch TV, I like me some mindless TV. How mindless? Like, “Reno 9-1-1” mindless. I like sitcoms. Lately I love “My Name is Earl,” and Britcoms, like “Keeping Up Appearances.” I like Super Nanny (she could kick Dr. Phil’s ass in a child-raising contest), and I used to enjoy “The Osbournes,” for the wisdom it added to my family therapy practice. Incidentally, while channel surfing on Saturday afternoon, I stopped on “Hogan Knows Best,” in which former wrestler Hulk Hogan and his family do their “reality” thing. I watched parts of two episodes; enough for me to conclude that Hulk Hogan makes Ozzie Osbourne look like Andy Griffith, in the dad department.
Something Mrs. Hulk said to Hulk, that I’m pretty sure I’ll never say to Jif:
“Put your boa on.”
3. There’s a whole food category. Chocolate anything and everything. And Cheetos. Mind you, I don’t purchase Cheetos. However, as most moms will admit (if they have learned to sin boldly), there is a place in this world for Cheetos. And that place is at a children’s birthday party. I will leave a child’s birthday party with some orange fingers, for sure. Indeed, if anyone reading this is considering whether or not to have children — consider the Cheeto factor. I like to eat Hillbillian foods, but in my firm commitment to never weigh more than my car, I don’t cook them often. Not at all. If I make comfort foods, though, they are the real deal. I may make mashed potatoes only . . . oh, four or five times a year . . . but they are made with real butter and cream, when I do.
Now it’s getting tougher to find things to feel guilty about . . . OK:
4. I flirt. And in the process of doing so, I may embellish the truth from time to time. You may have figured that out from visiting here. I get a lot of pleasure from this. But truthfully, not so much guilt, because it’s not THAT kind of flirting. I am an equal opportunity flirter. Men, women, children. I like to leave someone’s presence with the feeling that THEY feel better than they did before I got there. We’re just not sweet to each other the way we could be. I try to be sweet to people, compliment them, help them upgrade their sense of self, at least for a moment. And I may lie in the process. I have no problem with that. And NO, I have certainly never lied to any of you.
5. I have gone through phases of buying too many of something. Shoes, purses, cosmetics, CDs. Probably the most consistent transgression in this category is books. That is not the case at the moment, but it is likely to emerge again at any time. I am a book addict.
There you have it. These are not the worst things I do. They are some of the worst things I do, from which I get pleasure. Revealing the other worst things I do from which I get pleasure would attract a more unseemly element than the riff raff that already frequents here, so we won’t be talking about that today 😉
I won’t tag you, but you know we want to know. So post your guilty pleasures, or spill them here 🙂